Job TitleHistory Instructor - Full time - Tenure Track position
LocationYuba College - Marysville, CA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The person selected will be expected to:
• Organize and teach classes including, but not limited to the following: first and second halves of World Civilizations and at least one of the following: African-American History, Asian-American History, Mexican-American History, United States History, Western Civilization, and/or Women in America. Assignment may include online courses.
• Prepare course syllabi and outlines;
• Develop and maintain the history curriculum, including transfer/articulation agreements with colleges and universities;
• Teach day, evening, and/or weekend teaching assignments;
• Work cooperatively with staff in related disciplines;
• Participate in department, division, and college-wide committees and meetings; and
• Participate in the shared-governance process.
Essential Duties Summary
Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate, by the final filing date, must possess the minimum qualifications for instructors in History at California Community Colleges: (All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications must be from accredited institutions.)
• Master’s in history OR
• Bachelor’s in history
• Master’s in political science, humanities, geography, area studies, women’s studies, social science or ethnic studies OR
• The equivalent
• Possess a California Community College life credential in the subject matter area of History.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to applicants with:
• History teaching experience to community college students.
• Teaching experience dealing with the special needs of students who are not majoring in history.
• A commitment to the needs of a diverse student population taking history courses.
Range/StepClass 2, Step 1 to Class 6, Step 10
Salary Range$56,772 - $87,564/YR.
BENEFITS/SALARY: The District offers a comprehensive benefits package for employees and dependent, valued at over $20,000 annually with a $310.50 monthly out of pocket expense to employees or dependents for monthly premiums. The package includes health, dental, vision, two (2) life insurance policies and an Employee Assistance program.
Additional benefits include contributions to the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS), 457/403b options, 10 sick days and a 178 day contract.
INITIAL PLACEMENT WILL NOT BE HIGHER THAN CLASS 6, STEP 10, ACCORDING TO THE ACADEMIC HANDBOOK.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: To apply, please visit: https://yccd.peopleadmin.com and complete an academic application (please provide description and details for each position held. See resume or left blank will automatically disqualify your application).
The following documents are required: Resume, All Transcripts, Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (attached in a Word document), a Cover letter/letter of interest and 3 Letters of Recommendation.
PLEASE NOTE: AS SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS, AN APPLICATION MAY, BUT NEED NOT, INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (a) one current evaluation from a peer or supervisor, (b) one abstract of a publication, and/or portfolio. NO OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL SHOULD BE INCLUDED.
EQUIVALENCY: Applicants must meet YCCD minimum qualifications by the filing date or have been awarded equivalency by the District prior to the publication of the Recruitment Announcement.
FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS: Include a U.S. evaluation and translation. Contact the Human Resources website for a list of agencies providing foreign transcript services.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment is dependent upon Department of Justice (DOJ) clearance; all fees are the responsibility of the selected candidates and serves the purpose of obtaining a criminal history as authorized by the California Education Code. All prospective employees shall be required to provide verification of TB test.
WORKING CONDITIONS: In accordance to Board Policy, smoking is prohibited in the facilities and on the grounds of Yuba Community College District.
WORK DAY, WORK WEEK, and WORK YEAR: The District has the right to establish work day, work week, work year; hours of positions within the District may vary.
INTERVIEW: A candidate selected for an interview will be required to visit Yuba Community College District at his/her own expense upon a date selected by the District. Meeting minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure all application materials are received by the application deadline date. All submitted materials become District property, will not be returned, will not be copied and will be considered for this recruitment only. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
IF YOU REQUIRE ACCOMMODATION TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please contact the Human Resources Office at (530) 741-8765.
TIMELINE: Interviews are scheduled for March/April 2019. Before a candidate is employed with the District, the candidate will be confirmed by the Governing Board; the proposed confirmation date is April/May 2019
•This position is anticipated to be assigned to Yuba College of the Yuba Community College District but may be assigned temporarily or permanently within the District.
1. In the interview, consideration will be given by the Selection Committee to factors other than education and experience, including, but not limited to, apparent personal development, ability to work with others, initiative, and sensitivity.
2. Candidates should not expect official notification of the status of their candidacy until the administration has acted upon the Selection Committee’s recommendation for employment.
3. The District reserves the right to investigate past employment records, including contacting former employers.
4. The District reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely the employment of a person for a position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate Qualified Applicant Pool.
5. As required by the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the Yuba Community College District, the Personnel Services and Human Resources Development Office is required to maintain an Equal Employment file, which will yield the composition of application flow by ethnic identification, gender and disability. This information will not be used as part of our recruiting process.
6. IMPORTANT: Any misstatements or omissions of material facts in this application or an interview may be cause for dismissal, if employed.
This position is open to Full Time YCFA Tenured Members from Friday, March 1, 2019 through Thursday, March 14, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. The internal and external postings will run concurrently.
External applicants are welcome to apply during the in-house recruitment process. However, external applications will not be considered until the in-house recruitment period has ended.
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, the Yuba Community College District is committed to creating an inclusive and effective learning and working environment for all.
Internal vs. ExternalExternal
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application includes the following: Academic Application, Resume, Transcripts, EEO Statement, up to (3) current letters of recommendation and a Cover Letter/Letter of Interest.
To apply for an Equivalency, please download a Equivalency Determination Application, Equivalency Statement, and Procedure from YCCD’s website: www.yccd.edu/forms