Position TitleCoordinator 1, Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)College Architect
DepartmentFacilities Planning & Design-3JA
Starting Salary$38,894.40 - $43,756.09
Job Open Date11/27/2019
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date02/07/2020
Salt Lake Community College is the largest higher education institution with the most diverse student body in Utah. Working for SLCC provides a unique opportunity to collaborate with students, faculty and staff to be the premier comprehensive community college in the nation. As an employee of Salt Lake Community College, you will enjoy a great work life balance and receive excellent benefits, including medical, vision, retirement, life insurance, vacation and sick leave, and tuition waiver.
The Building Information Modeling (BIM) Coordinator is primarily responsible for leading/directing the BIM coordination processes and team for documenting existing facilities and coordinating new projects of various building types and sizes. This is a short term funded position with the expectation of moving to going funds.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Set and Maintain BIM Model Protocols, Standards, and Templates
• Set up and integrate initial models for team use
• Create model content/elements that fall between modeling scopes as necessary for effective coordination.
• Coordinate BIM models with architects, engineers, interior designers, furniture and equipment consultants, contractors, facility managers, carpenters, HVAC teams, plumbers, electricians, etc.
• Support project managers through the pre-construction, construction and turn over / close processes.
• Modeling and leveraging models for visualization, quantification and planning
• Collect and organize, create, convert and manipulate models for maximum utility
• Perform informal BIM training, education and support to other college personnel
• Facilitate and promote wider integration of BIM field / mobile, cloud, estimating, scheduling, layout, planning and progress tracking visualization
• Create 4D sequences and create quantity take offs.
• Install, update BIM software as needed. Assist in maintenance of databases, libraries standards.
Prepare construction documents for plan review and for bidding purposes. This would include working closely with the Director, Planning & Design, College Architect and Project Managers to gather the necessary information in order to begin assembling of necessary documents and making necessary adjustments to documents through the schematic and design stages of each project. Once final review has taken place, prepare the construction documents suitable for bidding purposes. Create and keep 3D BIM building models, building maps and site maps current.
Assist College personnel and outside consultants in obtaining archived construction document information necessary for ongoing maintenance needs and for construction projects.
Other Duties as Assigned.
• Formal education in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or similar field of study.
• Two years working with models of projects that were larger than $25,000,000 in either higher education, healthcare or other complex projects
• Working knowledge in recent versions of: Revit, Navisworks, AutoCAD, Autodesk 360 Platforms, PowerPoint, Bluebeam, miscellaneous graphics software.
• Working knowledge of: sketchup, renderings, experience in point cloud manipulation preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively with project managers, field personnel, construction executives, architects, engineers, owners and subcontractors.
• Presentation skills, creative problem-solving skills, organization and planning, attention to detail, an eye for aesthetics and quality control.
• Experience working with: networks, mobile devices, animations, renderings, construction scheduling, varied computer hardware and software, cloud platforms, FTP, construction estimating.
Bachelors in Architecture or a related field.
One to two years of direct, paid, full-time work experience creating construction documents using Autodesk, Revit.
Trade off of work experience and education on a 1 year to 1 year basis.
A valid Utah Drivers License or the ability to obtain one is required for this position in order to travel to SLCC Campuses/Sites.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, as well as current AutoCAD, Revit and Navisworks. Ability to stay current on Autodesk Software including AutoCAD, Revit and Navisworks.
Good background in mathematics including Trigonometry. Must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle difficult situations.
Knowledge of ADA, CSI, AIA standards of layering, currently adopted IBC, materials and methods of construction and cost estimating.
Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Ability to communicate effectively with project managers, field personnel, construction executives, architects, engineers, owners and subcontractors.
Presentation skills, creative problem-solving skills, organization and planning, attention to detail, an eye for aesthetics and quality control.
Experience working with: networks, mobile devices, animations, renderings, construction scheduling, varied computer hardware and software, cloud platforms, FTP, construction estimating.
• Full consideration will be given to applicants who apply on or before the priority review date indicated above.
• More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/docs/benefits-summary-current.pdf
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.